We have just released the 5.3 version of RP4VMs which is a very big release. If the acronym ‘RP4VMs’ doesn’t mean a lot to you, let’s have a recap: RecoverPoint […]
We have just released the 5.3 version of RP4VMs which is a very big release.
If the acronym ‘RP4VMs’ doesn’t mean a lot to you, let’s have a recap:
RecoverPoint for VMs is a hypervisor-based, software-only data protection solution for protecting VMware® virtual machines.
RecoverPoint for VMs provides both local and remote replication that enables recovery to any point in time. RecoverPoint for
VMs also supports replication to the Amazon cloud. RecoverPoint for VMs consists of the following:
- RecoverPoint for VMs write-splitter that is embedded in the ESXi hypervisor and enables replication from any storage type to any type of storage.
- Virtual RecoverPoint appliances (vRPAs) that manage data replication. A vRPA cluster is a group of vRPAs that works together to replicate and protect data.
- A journal that comprises one or more volumes that are dedicated on the storage at each copy in a system to hold the production data history.
vSphere Client plugin that is used for managing VM replication:
- The HTML5 plugin is introduced in RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 to support vSphere 6.7 U1 and later environments. The HTML5 plugin communicates with vRPA clusters through a separate, dedicated HTML5 plugin server.
- The Flex plugin continues to support environments that use vSphere 6.7 and earlier versions. The Flex plugin communicates directly with the vRPA clusters.
Services Design, Technology, & Supportability Improvements
This release introduces the following new and changed features:
HTML5 plugin: Supported with vSphere 6.7 U1 and later, the HTML5 plugin runs on a separate, dedicated plugin server and includes these improvements:
- Modernized user interface.
- Simplified workflows (for example, one-click protection).
- More functions (for example point-in-time zoom-in).
- Better performance.
- New RESTful API: A new REST API offers these features:
- Simple APIs.
- Separate plugin server that provides a single API gateway for all vRPA clusters within a vCenter Server or linked vCenter Servers.
- Improved API documentation with Swagger UI and developer portal: https://developer.dellemc.com/.
- Better performance.
- Backward compatibility of the REST APIs with future releases of 5.3 only.
Shared VMDK and RDM support for clustered applications: RecoverPoint for VMs supports the use of shared Virtual Machine Disks (VMDKs) or Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) with these applications:
- Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC)
- Microsoft Failover Clustering (Windows Server 2016)
- vSphere 7.0 support: vSphere 7.0 supports use of the HTML5 plugin and does not support Flex.
- VMware NSX-T Data Center support: RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 supports VMware NSX-T Data Center 2.5.x and 3.0.
- NVMe support: RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 supports Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) controllers with vSphere 6.7 U1 and later, including 7.0.
- Improved performance: RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 achieves performance improvements by use of aggregated vCenter Server APIs, reducing vCenter Server load.
- User scripts enhancements: RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 enables invoking scripts on external hosts according to the type of recovery activity.
What is RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines?
Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery To Any Point In Time
- Disaster Recovery and Operational Recovery with VM-level granularity
- Software Only – Hypervisor based replication solution
- Any point-in-time recovery per VM
- Sync/Async concurrent replication to local & remote copies
- Storage agnostic
- Integrated Management & Orchestration with VMware’s vCenter UI
- DR to Cloud Replicate VMs to AWS with recovery to EC2/VMC
- No Single Point of Failure
vRPA cluster high-availability, each VM can be replicated by any vRPA (on any ESXi)
- Minimizing Bandwidth Costs
Utilize RecoverPoint Compression & Deduplication
- Flexible deployment
vRPAs can be deployed on separated ESXi clusters than the protected VMs
- Fast recovery time
No data copying when accessing image, just roll the journal, disks are attached to replica
- “DVR-like” roll-back
Scroll between point-in time when testing recovery, fastest image access to the latest point in time
- Modern REST API for ease of automation
Aggregates over multiple RP4VMs systems
What are RecoverPoint for VMs’ Use Cases ?
RecoverPoint for VMs – Overview of Recovery Operations
JAM – Journal Access Module
JAM is a Journal I/O and Repository Access Filter for journal and repository access
- Available only on new installs of 5.2 or 5.3
- No conversion from former access module (when upgrading to RPVM 5.2/5.3)
JAM is auto-installed as separate VIB
- The VIB is only required on the ESX nodes where the vRPAs reside
- Automatically deployed during cluster installation and ESXi node additions
- Would need to be upgraded in the same manner as the splitter is upgraded today
Enhanced behavior with VSAN
- Initial Journal VMDK no longer limited to 255GB
- Improved VMDK provisioning time
What’s new in the 5.3 version?
New HTML5 Plugin
Better looking with all modern capabilities
- Filters, sorting, search
- Links between screens
- Lightweight and Fast
Simpler to use
- 1-Click protect
- Simple Recovery Flows
- Zoom in around an image
- Manages all RP4VMs clusters on the vCenter
- Fully supported with vSphere 6.7U1 and later (including 7.0)
- Uses a plugin server
Easy to Protect: 1-Click Protection
- Screen opens directly from vSphere UI
- Default values populated for all fields
- Modify selection or click “PROTECT” RP4VMs will:
- Automatically discover VM configuration
- Automatically create target VM and VMDKs
- Automatically create protection resources
- Automatically start replicating
Easy to Test: 1-Click Test
Easy to Recover: Disaster Recovery
- Default values are populated
Latest PiT and bubble network for target VMs
- Modify selection or click “START” RP4VMs will:
- Keep replication and protection during testing
- Automatically roll-back target VMs to selected PiT
- Automatically set testing network of replica VMs
- Apply predefined power-up sequence of replica VMs
Easy to Recover – Operational Recovery
- Can utilize any replica copy (local or remote)
- Scroll between Points-in-Time
- Modify the snapshot data if desired
Production restore to the modified PiT
Automatically resume production replication after recovery
HTML5 Plugin – Protection Policy
Single screen for managing orchestration and replication options
Per-VM startup priority, criticality, scripts and prompts
Allows configuration of replication mode, retention, failover network, Re-IP and more
HTML5 Plugin – VM Protection Policy
Allows to exclude VMDKs
Controls VM-specific settings such as
MAC replication for copies on the same vCenter
Protection of newly added VMDKs
RP4VMs 5.3 – Enhancements to Plugin Security
Only users with a certain privilege would be able to access the RP4VMs H5 plugin
- When a user without the privilege launches the plugin, it would error out
- The privilege is ‘Manage custom attributes’ (Global.Manage custom attributes) and it can be easily changed/accessed via the vSphere client
HTML5 Plugin Server VM
Adheres to VMware’s best practices for plugins
- Better scale and performance
- More robust
- Hosts all RP4VMs screens and logic
- Auto-discovers RP4VMs systems
Manages all RP4VMs clusters on the vCenter
- And linked vCenters
API gateway and forwarding
- Expose self-documented Swagger UI
- API aggregation across multiple RP4VMs clusters
Modernized RESTful API
Ease of use
- Simple object model
- Recommendation API
- Lightweight object model
- Support Filters, Partials and Sorting
- Dell EMC developer portal
- Self-documented swagger UI
- Backward Compatible
With future API versions
- The new RESTful API co-exists with the previous API (5.2 endpoint)
Aggregation across all managed vRPA clusters
- For example: GET all protected VMs list in a single API call
Recommendation (protection) API
- GET response in the same format as POST command expects
- API auto-completes all missing protection resources
- Use nice names and/or IDs
Modern API capabilities. For Example:
- Use “Filters” in order to output results with specific criteria
- Use “Partials” to retrieve specific fields instead of the whole object
- Use “Sorting” to order the response by specific fields
Explore the new API
- Connect to plugin server
RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 – Interactive Demo
RecoverPoint for VMs GitHub Repo (Postman Collection and Protect Script):
RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 – Simple Protection Demo
RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 – Advanced Protection Demo
RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 – Recovery and Orchestration Demo
RecoverPoint for VMs 5.3 – New RESTful API Demo
you can download the full package, by clicking the screenshot below